Popular Post

Happy New Year from Terlizzi Italy

Francesco in the main street of Terlizzi

Hi Lovelies,

Thank-you for all your wonderful messages of good wishes for 2011. I hope it is going to be great year for all of you full of love and happiness.

I spent New Year's Eve in bed struck down by a virus in Francesco's home town of Terlizzi and missed out on all the celebrations and fireworks (read mini bombs) that were let off all around town. 2010 was an interesting year for me it started off in the snow in Amsterdam and finished in the snow in Paris and I had many trails, tribulations and (mini) triumphs and a little wedding in between. I am ever hopeful for a great 2011 and may we kiss goodbye the crisis once and for all and fill our year with sunshine and goodwill.

Though I have visited Francesco's home town of Terlizzi in Puglia many times I never tire of walking the streets and snapping what I find. The historical centre of Terlizzi is small but it is wrapped in white stone. For a girl that grew up with supermarkets I will forever love a 'bancarella' of fruit and veges made out of wooden boxes on the corner of an ancient street and a tabernacle of devotion to the madonna bedecked with carnations and a little white skirt. At lunchtime the streets are deserted and the only sounds are of families gathered around the table eating and for a couple of hours after the town is silent. When 6 o'clock comes the town awakes and soon the buzz of vespas, men chatting on street corners and women, arms linked stroll the main street.

Often Francesco's family ask me about the differences between Southern Italy and Australia and the way I grew up. When I think about it I feel we are two thousand years apart - our way of living so different.

Where do you spend New Year's Eve?? Were you in somebody else's world?

To all of you I wish you a wonderful 2011.. Carla xx

ps all pictures taken on my iphone

 
Fruit and Vege stall
Apples
The local speciality cime de rape eaten with orecchiette pasta
Tabernacle to the Madonna
Tabernacle to the Madonna
Fiat 500
Horse Butcher
Pink walls
Carved balcones
Ancient archways
The clock tower
Street corner