Popular Post

Lady West & the canter

.
One of the most enjoyable aspects of my blog is the connections I have made with special people doing the same; ROSE C'EST LA VIE is my karmic blog sister. We chat via email & I can not wait to meet her! Rosie, I am coming over.


The beautiful thing about Rose's blog are her personal accounts of life amidst the British peerage- along with her modern drawings. She had a bead on the feminine creature and I am always charmed by her interpretations. A favourite Rose featured is a series she calls My L'il Pony.


Rose says~
"This work mostly comes from serious images of women on horseback, competing at showjumping, eventing or rodeo.  I have the greatest respect for their skill and courage.  Myself, I am quite scared of horses which increases my fascination.  As an artist I have taken an oblique view of things, rehearsing the fantasies I had of owning a pony as child which accounts for the overarching title 'My L'il Pony' as well as the dreamlike use of pastel colours. I guess it is a way of juxtaposing the infantile imagination with the muscular skill of the rider. My art practice has always dealt with elements of femalexuality and I am hinting at what I see as the mild eroticism of being in the saddle - on top, astride, in charge!"





 "I was one of those girls who longed for a pony but had to make do with an imaginary horsey friend and a lot of sound effects. Unlike some sympathetic parents I knew who actually built authentic jumps in the garden for their daughter and her phantom pony, I just fantasized about a clear round at a gymkhana. When I grew up I took a few riding lessons but to be honest, I'm pretty frightened of the real thing. "



"After the first session, I came home with a breathless account of how they left alone me in the stable yard with my new mount. Asked if I was 'up', it seemed to cause amusement when I confessed that no, I was only standing there holding the flipping reins. I persevered and managed to trot without stirrups (what's the point of that?) and then something interrupted the whole business, like finding I was expecting a baby. So that's more or less the size of it but somehow I'm determined not to go to my grave without managing a canter."



"Meanwhile the safer option was back at the drawing board. Here I have worked from images of serious horsewomen and infantilised them somewhat by the use of colour to express that longing that so many girls never have a chance to fulfill."
(all italics Lady West)










I would purchase these and frame them something like this to make a big impact in a young lady's room- a Sitting Room or Hunt Room. The acrylic folder like presentation of  the 6 pieces PAIRED in Duplicate would be quite wonderful!











A number of the PRINTS in repetition would fill up a wall. they could be Papered on and then Mounted over in acrylic. The more creative, the better. If uncertain- purchase them and hold onto them until you are inspired.

I have things I have saved back and never been happier that I did. When You find prints that are unique, witty and full of imagery like these-not to mention color, don't pass them up.



I love this arrangement-









THE PAINTINGS





















digital PRINTS of Lady West's L'il Pony (shown above in the first 6 images are as follows)-Please refer to the titles when purchasing.
1 Astride
2 Yellow horse
3 Walk On
4 Pink jump
5 How to Mount (female)
6 How to Mount (male)



L'il PONY  Prints available for purchase in 8" x 12" (210x297mm) /A4 paper. The prints are signed by the artist.

Each Print is $25.00 or £14 (British pounds)  which includes shipping from UK to the United States or wherever.

The Paintings in acrylic on canvas ( about 2ft 6"/3ft in sizes) are available for purchase-contact Lady West for pricing.
Payment is easily made through PayPal.  Please contact Rosie West at westbuzz@btinternet.com