Popular Post

It's Foodie Friday! Today is National Donut Day!

I feel guilty writing this blog post.  (Well, sorta kinda, she blogged with a sheepish grin.)  Today is National Donut Day.  OMG.  That is SO unfair.  You see, I have a sweet tooth bigger than I care to admit and after last Friday's homage to cupcakes, I hadn't planned on torturing myself (or anyone else with a sugar addiction) with another post about (let's face it) refined sugar.  But since I didn't create the day, I'm going to get over myself and (whispering) go out and eat a donut.  If I were home in L.A, I'd just go on over to the iconic Randy's Donuts in Inglewood.  (Wondering if there is such a thing as an organic donut?)
In the meantime, it might interest you to know that National Donut Day is always celebrated on the first Friday of June each year and was created as a fundraiser by the Chicago Salvation Army in 1938 to honor the women who served donuts to soldiers during World War I.  Oh okay.  Now I don't feel so guilty.  =)  And even though it's an American celebration, donuts are worldwideItaly's donuts are called fritole; Montenegro - ustipci; Mexico - churro; Turkey - lokma; France - beignet; Germany - krapfen; Hungary – langos; India - balushai; and Netherlands - oliebollen.  What's your favorite donut?
BTW, both Krispy Kreme, Dunkin' Donuts, LaMar's and Shipley Donuts are offering free donuts today.  Gotta go!